Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Gear testing on this trip

This upcoming trip will be an opportunity to test a whole lot of gear I've recently purchased, and also a couple things I've made myself. I'll write about it here and on my review blog, IfPressed.

In no particular order I am planning to use the following new gear:

GoalZero Guide 10 Plus Adventure Kit
I'm really excited about this purchase. I had ordered a different brand of solar panel capable of charging the iPad last fall, but that company was having trouble with their product manufacturing in China, so they couldn't get their product to me before the trip on which I was hoping to use it. This GoalZero Nomad 7 panel should be able to not only charge the iPad, our camera batteries and AA batteries, but also trickle charge the double-battery house bank, via the 12 V output.

CaseLogic water resistant iPad case

DicaPac WP310 waterproof digital camera case

My iPad and my Canon S95 are both prized possessions, and I would hate to see either hurt. But we'd like to shoot a lot of video, and the iPad will be our primary chart tool, so it's important to keep them both protected and tethered to the boat.

By the way, we'll be using two iPad apps for navigation on this trip, so you can expect to read more about them, too: iSailor and iSailGPS. My trusty Garmin 76cx will also be in play, of course.

I'll also be using the Origo stove for the first time in the field, in combination with a pressure cooker. I've heard that pressure cookers can be especially good on a sail boat, as they cook faster and they are closed tightly, making them somewhat safer in a potentially tricky environment.

Finally, we'll also be switching to full time use of the new tiller I that Dan and I made last fall.


(Note that these items were purchased with my own money and NOT provided by the companies that make them. My opinions and reviews are, as always, my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment